Friday, January 23, 2009

Start Writing Tips

So I am now in my second week of the Writer Mama's WPSS class.  Everything is going well. I think that Christina Katz is a great writing teacher and am just so excited that I am able to take one of her classes. She makes everything so do-able, providing practical steps to success as a freelance writer...and in my case, as a work-from-home mom. 

Last week, I learned about writing tips. They're quick, short, and really quite easy to write. So I can proudly state that I have now written and submitted my first tip to Parents magazine. Whether or not they accept it is a different story, but I am nonetheless quite proud of my small success. 

Also, I have to mention that while some magazines pay for tips, some do not. I know that Parents has previously paid $25 for tips, but in the most recent issue, it does not mention the $25 payment. So...if and when I find out whether they are still paying for tips, I will let you know. 

If you want to learn more about tip writing, just study a recent issue (and a few back issues, if possible) of some of your favorite magazines (or any magazines that you are interested in writing for). Study the style, tone, length, and subject matter of the tips, and then try drafting some of your own. Make sure to write the tip to fit the magazine. After writing your tip, try submitting. You just might get a call or email from an editor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, at least. 

One great source for learning more about tip writing is Christina's book, Writer Mama.  

Good luck with tip writing! 

No comments: