Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just Around the Corner


No doubt you all think that I simply dropped off the face of the earth. I have felt like it a bit at times...but I'm still here. You know how I'm always talking about how crazy my life is? Well, the last couple months have been beyond crazy. Let me explain.

First off, my grandmother (who has lived with my family for years and whom I have always been extremely close to) was in and out of the hospital since Christmas day and then passed away in January. It was definitely difficult for me and my family, but I am grateful for all the time that we got to spend with her over the years.

After she passed away, many of my relatives from out of town came and stayed at my house for a week so that they could attend the funeral and wake. They were a huge help in handling the many arrangements involved in a funeral, not to mention, the support of having extended family around was really wonderful.

Then a few weeks later, a very close family friend (who I grew up knowing as a grandfather) passed away. (Both of my actual grandfathers died when I was very young, and I don't have any memories of them.) Thus, losing this close family friend so soon after my grandmother made it only harder to deal with. But again, I thank God for all the wonderful memories that I have with both of these loved ones.

On top of all this, I was having the worst case of morning sickness - that lasted all day and night - that I've ever had with any of my pregnancies. Dealing with this, on top of taking care of two toddlers, and losing two loved ones, and having a bunch of people stay over for awhile, made for some crazy times.

But then, things have gotten even crazier. Because now, my pregnancy is considered high-risk.
After giving birth with a prior pregnancy, I had a pulmonary embolism, which was definitely a frightening experience. So my doctor says that I am at a higher risk of having more blood clots now, and am thus having to give myself daily injections of blood thinner. (Some side effects: increased nausea and a nasty stomach.)

While this probably sounds like an endless list of complaints, all of these events that I have experienced in the past couple of months have really made me appreciate everything that I am so blessed to have in my life: my family, my children, my incredibly supportive hubby, a baby that is growing right along despite the risks involved with this pregnancy, and many wonderful memories with all the people who are so important to me. I truly am grateful!

And even though I feel like I've been through a lot lately, I am reminded that even though Winter comes each year, I know that Spring always follows. And on a perfect day like today, one can't but notice that Spring is just around the corner. :)

No comments: