Tuesday, October 27, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Hi All!

The last few weeks have been so hectic around my home that I haven't really been able to squeeze in any time to twitter or blog...

but I'm thinking about doing something really crazy.

I'm considering signing up for NaNoWriMo!

This sounds crazy, I know. But I think that it just might help me to find some steam and get rolling with my bigger writing projects.

I also figure that if I can get into a good habit of writing for a specific amount of time every day in November, then hopefully I can continue that habit long after the craziness of NaNoWriMo subsides.

My main concern is that I will spread myself too thin by attempting such an enormous feat. At the same, though, I think that it could be the exact outlet that I need. No to mention, that it would be great practice at setting and reaching writing goals.

Anyway, I'm still not positive whether I'm going to do it, but I will definitely let you know if I sign up.

How about you - are any of you thinking about signing up for NaNoWriMo?

3 comments:

Kristine Meldrum Denholm, freelance writer said...

Sarah, go for it! It's my first time with Nanowrimo novel writing, too. And, I think it's a great idea for you to get used to writing the same hours every day. You only need to do about 1700 words a day. It makes it more of a habit this way. PS. I know, none of us have the time, but if we don't do it now, will we ever????

Sarah said...

Hi Kristine,
thanks for the encouragement! I'm so torn, but I really want to do it this year...it sounds like so much fun, and would be a huge accomplishment! Are you doing any prep work for it, or are you just going to jump in?

Kristine Meldrum Denholm, freelance writer said...

I have done a little prep work--Stephen King and Ann Lamott both say to really work on characters, because the interplay with them will be the story, vs. getting too much into plot. I've got a general plot going too, but I haven't outlined it extensively...I want to see where it takes me. I hope you join, we can support each other! My friend and I started a support group board for it on Facebook if you're on there! Let me know!