Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Writing Life

Hiya Writers!

It's been too long again.

I know.

Instead of making excuses, I'm just going to 'fess up and say that I'm happy to be as busy as I have been lately. More work has definitely left me with less time to do some of the things I really enjoy, such as blogging, catching up with all my Twitter peeps, and having fun on Facebook. But, like I said, I really can't complain because I'm trying to get in as much writing as possible before the baby comes in August.

My portfolio has been growing steadily, I'm editing a book for someone and helping her craft a query letter for an agent, and also trying to spend some more time on copywriting projects. Crazy as it might sound, I really enjoy copywriting, which is definitely starting to increase my (much too small!) income.

I've been wondering: do many magazine writers also branch out to copywriting? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences in this regard!

I'm also considering adding a bit more to my plate soon by taking a couple classes. I am planning on signing up for Christina Katz's "Pitching Practice" class because I thinks it's time for me to start querying the glossies. I've met with some great successes writing for regional publications, but would love to see my byline in - and receive the check from - national magazines, too. Christina's class starts on May 12, and I am really looking forward to it. In addition to taking that class, I am also looking around for a good copywriting course. If you have any recommendations or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

How has your workload been lately?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your blog (via tweet by Christina Katz, great work getting noticed by HER!). It's so hard to find good writing blogs especially those by non famous writers...about the journey.

I would also love to start taking a few courses here and there....really beef up my writing chops.

Would love to do a guest blog exchange if you're interested and trade links.

Sarah said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! Christina's really awesome for tweeting it.

A guest blog exchange sounds great. Let me know what you have in mind.

Good luck on your writing journey!