Friday, January 30, 2009

Getting in the Way

Hectic as things have been around here, I am proud to say that I have actually continued working ahead with my writing! In fact, I have written my first list article, and if I do say so myself, I think it's not bad at all. 

Although, I have to admit that I have noticed a way of thinking and acting that has been holding me back: I start something, realize that it's not as good as it could/should be, and decide that I can't move on until I perfect it. When that happens, I usually end up frustrated because it never seems to reach the level of perfection that I am aiming for. I realize that I just have to keep on writing and cannot stay working on that one piece forever...after all, practice makes perfect. I know that the more I continue to write, the better I will get at it...but it sure is frustrating sometimes. Anyway, it was good that I noticed this recurring pattern because now I have at least acknowledged the fact that I am holding myself back by doing that, and I now have the opportunity to get over it, and keep moving forward. 

In addition to my enlightening moment of self-realization, this past week has been extremely draining...in every way. Both of my babies are sick...the worst they've ever been. On top of that, my husband and I have also been sick, which means that when I'm up all night with uncomfortable, coughing, sneezing, crying munchkins, I am also coughing, sneezing, and sometimes feel like crying. But I am relieved that they are finally starting to look a little better (a week later!) Hopefully, the end is in sight! 

All in all, I think this has been a good week for me. It's kind of funny, but it seems like the more I do, the more I can do. Sounds ridiculous, I know. But what I mean is that some days go by where I feel as though simply playing with the kids and getting meals on the table is all that I am capable of. But then there's days where I am determined to do that and get the laundry done, pay the bills, and finish some writing projects...once I make that decision, suddenly I get everything done and more! Not always - believe me, there are days when I definitely fall short. But sometimes...and those days are really great!

No comments: